.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Anarchist Priest

My spiritual and practical journey to becoming an ordained Anglican priest in Canada.

Monday, May 23, 2005

I want to become a priest

Probably the weirdest thing you can say to someone in this era of very weird things is, "I want to become a priest." It seems easier to tell someone you're gay, or a recovering drug fiend with a fetish for shoes and aerosol cheese. Why would anyone in his or her right mind want to become a priest!?

All I can do is tell you I do, and that it feels right. I’m 37, am married, have five children, three from a previous marriage. I was raised in a skeptical scientific method perspective of the world, but also in the Anglican Church. I prize both solid analytical thinking and deep exploration of what it truly means to be human.

I have a vast thirst for social justice and am appalled by the loud voice of radical Christianity that is isolationist, intolerant and an apologist for the enslaving industrial consumer society that North America has become. We are constantly reminded of the dangers of radical Islam and how wrong it is, and at the same time news comes from Kansas that the myth of creationism is going to be taught to children as fact in place of scientific investigation.

I have come to this point through many life experiences. The path to become and ordained minister is long. I have to go back to school and get a Masters in Divinity. I also have to be admitted into an ordination program with my local diocese. And I can’t think of anything I’d rather be doing. The Church calls this process of becoming priest discernment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares