.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Anarchist Priest

My spiritual and practical journey to becoming an ordained Anglican priest in Canada.

Friday, June 03, 2005

More Signs

I arrived at the U of T campus early for my interview with the Dean, so I decided to stop in for a quick lunch. I wanted to have some Indian food, but to my great disappointment that restaurant was gone, replaced by a Middle Eastern grill. I like falafels, so I thought I’d give it a try. I ordered a chicken shwarma and looked for a place to sit down and feast. There were no empty tables, so I sat near the front at a table occupied by a woman already enjoying her food.

I hate eating in the presence of others pretending they are not there. I think it’s a very rude and sad practice that we’ve developed in the urban world. After I sat down I introduced myself to the woman and asked her about her name tag/security pass. She told me she worked in research at the University. It turns out she works with researching human stem cells from adult sources. I was very lucky to have such an interesting lunch companion!

We discussed the nature of her work and then I explained I was about to interview for the Divinity program at the University. We then got into a brief discussion about God and science and the relationship they had. I was impressed by her passionate belief in God that was only strengthened by what she had learned as a scientist. I had to agree with her that the incredible design of a simple cell and the complexities of the organelles implied the presence of God over a series of ‘happy accidents’. We also discussed how people in our society have a deep spiritual need but seem to be having a difficult time find a place to have that need nurtured and fulfilled.

I mention this chance meeting I had because I came away with two distinct feelings. The first was that I was not alone in my perception of God in the very core of scientific pursuit. The second was that this kind of discussion came naturally to me, like the one with my brother’s friend. I not only enjoyed it, but also felt a deep sense of myself fulfilled by having it. This is what I want to do with my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares